HPE shows off supercomputing credentials with Cray
Combined portfolios power HPC and AI on-premise, in the cloud or as-a-Service
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) is set to become a major player in high-performance computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI), with the addition of Cray supercomputing platform which it recently acquired.
HPE’s HPC and AI offering now includes an end-to-end supercomputing architecture across compute, interconnect, software, storage and services, delivered on-premises, hybrid or as-a-Service.
Digital transformation is driving new data-intensive workloads and real-time analytics operating at an unprecedented scale. New software, compute, interconnect, and storage capabilities are required for customers to unlock the potential of their data and accelerate innovation. HPE delivers products for various scenarios experience from single, small systems all the way to exascale-class supercomputers with tailored software, interconnect and storage capabilities. This includes solutions for modeling and simulation in weather forecasting, manufacturing and energy sectors, and AI and big data analytics in precision medicine, autonomous vehicles, geospatial imaging and financial services.
Peter Ungaro, senior vice president and general manager, HPC and AI, at HPE said, “Through the combination of HPE and Cray offerings, we now give customers more choice and control in how they apply HPC, to span any size and scale, running in any environment, from on-premises to the cloud.”
HPE’s latest HPC and AI end-to-end portfolio is comprised of the following services, software, compute, interconnect and storage capabilities:
- Cray and Microsoft have collaborated to allow access to HPC technology and systems for Cray in Microsoft Azure offerings. HPE plans to expand customer choice for customers by providing its HPC and AI solutions through HPE GreenLake, an as-a-Service offering from HPE.
- Cray System Management Software, built on a container-based, multi-tenant architecture, enables converged HPC and AI workloads to run simultaneously on a single system, providing administrators and developers with a modern, cloud experience.
- With Cray Programming Environment (CPE), HPE provides developers a fully integrated software suite, offering compilers and programming languages, tools and libraries. It is designed to allow easy porting of existing applications with minimal recoding, while minimising changes to existing programming models and simplifying developer transition to new hardware paradigm.
- The HPE Performance Cluster Management (HPCM) software provides complete provisioning, management, and monitoring for clusters scaling to 100,000 nodes. The software enables fast system setup from bare-metal, comprehensive hardware monitoring and management, image management, software updates and power management. As part of the new portfolio, future planned releases of HPCM will expand system support to include new Cray systems. This new support will enable customers with a breadth of new system choices while maintaining their existing HPCM management environment.
- The recent introduction of Cray ClusterStor E1000, a storage solution and a new type of solution for HPE’s HPC portfolio, supports ongoing data growth and converged workloads. ClusterStor meets storage requirements while significantly reducing the need for additional storage drives through its intelligent new data management software.