UAE CIOs need to classify 88% of dark data: Experts

Data Availability, insights, and protection among key topics from experts at Veritas Vision Solution Day UAE

Veritas, Digital transformation

UAE organisations need to classify 88 percent of their “dark data,” to drive digital transformation and digital business success, industry experts announced during the Veritas Vision Solution Day UAE event, which was held recently. One of the most alarming business trends is the exponential growth in data, and especially “dark data,” or data that is unquantified and likely obsolete or trivial.

Data management leader Veritas’ Databerg report shows that UAE organisations store only 12 percent of critical data. The rest, 88 percent, remains “dark data.” As data grows exponentially, the Databerg report results show that UAE CIOs need data availability, protection, and insights everywhere, argues Condo Protego, the UAE-based IT infrastructure and information management consultancy.

“In the UAE, only 12 percent of critical data being stored underlines the first and most important step in digital transformation: organisations need to classify their data,” said Praj Calthorpe, deputy general manager, Condo Protego, a Veritas Platinum Partner. “UAE CIOs should try to reduce the amount of ‘dark data’ to as little as possible.”

Additional report findings include that about 50 percent of the data stored by UAE organisations is stored on legacy tape and primary storage. Only 55 percent of UAE organisations said they can recover from a cyberattack within 24 hours.

“The second step for UAE organisations is to move from outdated tape storage to on-premise long-term retention,” added Calthorpe. “Long-term retention can provide always-available data, and optimise costs, compliance, and security.”

During the event, hundreds of Veritas’ leading Middle East customers were able to learn about key topics such as cloud migration, digital compliance, data resilience, and modern workloads.

Most Popular

Digital Edition

Subscribe today and get your copy of the magazine for free